Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

LAST OF THE GREATS

Here is the rundown of a Comic book I had been eyeing created by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Brent Peeples. It's called "Last of the Greats".

I just got the first 5 issues all at once. It was a little different than I expected. I had mixed feeling about it sure but I DO NOT want to persuade you against reading this cause I feel like
A. It has the potential to bring a huge pay off at the end and
B. The set is interesting enough to pick up alone.

But I am getting ahead of myself. Let me hip you to Last of the Greats:

The Set Up:
"He's mankinds last hope and he f#@&ing hates us. As Earth stands on the brink of annihilation we must beg the last survivor of a family of superheroes to put aside his hatred and save our butts."


Spoiler Alert:
Yup That was enough to suck me into buying the book, a superhuman being with the ability to do just about anything, and he doesn't choose to save people because he hates him. Definite interesting take on a concept that isn't that unheard of. Apparently he was part of beings who came to Earth to help us be better than ourselves. Giving us food, no homelessness, no war, shelter, and making earth a Utopia. But deep down we don't trust 'em so we find a way to kill these superhuman beings (even though they have indestructible GOD LIKE powers).

We put all of our trust and faith in the Last of the heroes called the GREATS because we are under an alien atttack. He hates us all and it seems it's because of his siblings, but it turns out that he is just a jerk. He saves the planet even thought it seems he started the attack just to be a savior, then is lifted as a hero loved by all.

He then, behind everyone's backs, begins to do such inhumane things, he makes history's biggest jerks seem like Joel Osteen. He adopts a kid then feeds him to Sharks, he charms Oprah outta her draws, and tries to rape his right hand man.
But again, I just feel the book is just a bit overdone. some of the debachaery that he does is unnecessary (including the rape scene), the preachiness of his self righteous attitude, and pretty predictable dialogue. It brings to mind Bomb Queen in some instances (which Bomb Queen is an unnecessary book to me) to where it seems like it shows nudity or other things just to shock people.

Still, the set up of the overall book is very good, the concept is fresh, and I can see some type of hope in it. Although I won't read past the second issue of the sequel "RETURN OF THE GREATS" if it is more of the same. Checkout the Oprah Preview from issue 3 below and Peace!!







Post a Comment

Google+ Followers

Check it out on Facebook

Web Comic

Web Comic
Click here to read it.

Mutantstarr Headline Animator

Follow by Email